These Vegan Turtle Bites are seriously SO easy to make, plus they’re adorable! This super simple treat makes for an easy dish to bring to a party, to share with friends, or for something sweet to snack on yourself.
I saw this idea floating around Pinterest of making homemade “Turtle” flavored treats about a week ago. If you’ve never had a Turtle candy, it’s a milk chocolate coated candy filled with pecans and caramel. Definitely not something very healthy (or vegan). But, I think these treats that I’ve come up with can easily beat a traditional Turtle candy in a taste test.
I started out with some mini pretzels (I recommend using ones that are salted). Next comes the caramel element. There are several recipes for vegan caramels made from coconut milk all around the internet that you can use, but I opted to use a delectable vegan brand called Cocomels to make life easier.
I personally think that the pecans are really what make this treat stand out. They add a nutty flavor without being overwhelming, and they also addsome more crunch. I toasted my pecans beforehand ( you can also buy pre-roasted pecans) which brought out an even deeper flavor.
All you have to do is lay everything out on a cookie sheet in the right order, pop them in the oven, and you’re good to go! Practically foolproof.
- 16 coconut milk caramels (I used Cocomels)
- 48 vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 16 mini pretzels
- 16 pecans, halved (roasted, preferably)
- Sea salt (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place pretzels on the sheet, and place a chocolate chip inside each hole of every mini pretzel.
- Put one caramel on each of the pretzels and in oven for 1-2 minutes, until the caramel is melty.
- Take the tray out of the oven and smush a pecan in each one. Place back into the oven for another two minutes.
- Take out of oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Place in freezer for a few minutes or wait approx 15 minutes till cool to serve. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this, and tell me how you like it! Tag me on Instagram @cookwithcourt and #cookwithcourt