It all started with a smoothie bowl, or at least a dream of one. For some reason, I woke up this morning reeeaaally wanting something fruity. What’s a girl to do when she’s chilly but in need of a fruity fix?? Pitaya-berry oats to the rescue!
This was the perfect amount for me, but feel free to adjust the ingredients to meet the needs of how much you like to eat for breakfast. I thought the berries/pitaya ended up being yummy without adding any sweetener, but you may choose to do so if you prefer sweeter oats. This would taste awesome with banana/strawberries too, if you have those on hand.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used instant)
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 cup water or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 a frozen pitaya packet
- 1-4 tsp. liquid sweetener (agave, maple syrup, etc.) (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries
- Chia seeds/coconut chips/cacao nibs/more berries (optional, for topping)
- Pour oats, flax seeds, and water/ plant milk into a medium sized saucepan turned to medium heat.
- Let cook till a creamy consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the pitaya, and stir until it has completely melted. If adding liquid sweetener, do so now. Stir until well incorporated.
- Pour into serving bowl and add berries. Stir well.
- Top your bowl off with some more berries or any other desired toppings.
Let me know if you make this, and tell me how you like it! Tag me on Instagram @cookwithcourt and #cookwithcourt