I’m sharing my go-to Super Summer Smoothie recipe with you!
Super. Summer. Smoothie. Who wants to miss out on this?
We know every SUPER summer needs a go-to smoothie. In creating a snack/meal/icy-treat is chock-full of greens, fiber, and protein, this smoothie is a WINNER.
Sure you could say it’s made of “superfoods,” but all that matters is the smoothie-sipping SUPERSTAR on your shiny metal straw’s other end!
Before I delve into the joyous, berry-filled smoothie delight of my summer recipe— I must discuss other plant-matters (this is a vegan blog, after all!). Many of you may know from my Instagram how I live amongst a vast plethora of houseplants, which I cherish oh-so-much. However— a few of them are currently suffering, and I can only think of a few reasons why:
My Houseplant Woes:
- It’s been hotter than Dante’s 6th Circle of Hell in my house lately.
- As my once-a-recipe-feminist-note: I recently realized the Dante’s Divine Comedy is actually quite misogynistic while researching for school a few weeks ago. Check out Carolyn Merchant’s “Reinventing Eden” to have your mind BLOWN!
- My silly self poured a few sips of old kombucha in a few plants about two weeks ago.
- I recently realized how kombucha might have the same effect as vinegar on a plant, rather than a juice… whoops! *Internal face palm.*
- I continue to water my plants accordingly, in hopes they’ll get better. I put them in the sun, in hopes they’ll get better. I poke their leaves, in hopes they’ll get better (a joke— but I do stroke them lovingly, and reminisce about the good times :,) ).
- All botanists/fellow plant-lovers are cringing while they’re reading this. Yes, I know plants thrive on stability, but I swear I will give it to them if they just get better.
Obviously— it’s a troublesome time for my indoor forest. Nevertheless, my greenery continues to bring joy in it’s consciousness-expanding insight into wellness… Even in its’ probable death.
Unfortunately for my leafy, green, indoor forest— it cannot cure itself of the summer heat with a simple super smoothie!
Give me Greens & Proteins!
Raise a limb if you’re a human who doesn’t mind greens in your smoothie!
I’m optimistic, and currently picturing so many beautiful people of all shapes and sizes lifting up random body parts in support for “superfood” greens. Besides adding beautiful color, greens are rich in antioxidants, fiber, iron—with oh-so-many other benefits! Personally, I can’t tell much of a difference between a smoothie with or without greenery.
It’s my opinion that a smoothie without greens is a missed opportunity!
Pro-Team = Protein?
In this year’s superfood smoothie is a scoop of plant-based protein powder — which is a new addition from last year’s So-Healthy Green Smoothie. The 2019 version is more filling than last year’s (still-wonderful) smoothie, which was more voluminous, and denser in (healthy) carbohydrates.
My smoothie has Garden of Life unflavored protein powder, and I highly recommend it (not sponsored, merely a fan)! I also hear great reviews about hemp protein, Vega Brand Protein Powder, and Amazing Grass protein powder. Like many shoppers, I opt for choices which meet my budget and standards for ingredients/manufacturing practice.
Fats, & Fiber, & Carbs… Oh My!
If you’re asking, any Super Summer Smoothie has to be sweet! Mine is full of fiber-rich carbohydrates— including and berries and bananas. These ingredients keep my mind sharp and metabolism moving. Lastly, how can I leave out a few tablespoons of omega-3, omega-6, and fiber-rich ground flaxseeds? The ground flaxseeds add another element of gosh-darn delectable, creamy texture.
A Note on Privilege
Many of us have access to stocked grocery stores and financial capital to purchase and store foods/equipment. It’s cool how we can combat the hot weather of the summer months with nutritious, ice-cold smoothies to make our minds and bodies feel super!
While we sip our tasty drinks, maybe we can ponder the systems at play which give us access to our summer smoothies.
What Makes you Feel #SUPER?
Indeed, whether you incorporate dietary or lifestyle commitments— the summer months are a beautiful time to refresh and reinforce rad habits! What actions and intentions make you feel sunshine-y and refreshed? Let me know in the comments below— or on Instagram @cookwithcourt!
Super Summer Smoothie
A super recipe for a superfood-rich smoothie— for healthy, ice-cold fuel in summertime's warm months!
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (I use a blend of raspberries/blueberries/blackberries)
- 1/2 cup frozen greens (I use blend of spinach/kale)
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder unsweetened, unflavored
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds *
- squeeze of lemon juice optional
- ice optional
- 1/2 – 1 cup water to blend
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a large glass/container. Serve immediately & enjoy!